Monday, September 29, 2008

Harvest

All these beautiful vegetables came out of my very own garden. Pretty, eh? Would anyone like some zucchini? Please.. I'm begging.. take some zucchini! Or tell me what to do with a kitchen full of zucchini when we've already had zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, zucchini brownies, zucchini bran muffins, chocolate zucchini cake, sautee'd zucchini.... etc. etc. Anyway, onto the rest of the harvest. Besides new potatoes with fresh herbs, fresh salsa, caprese salad, BLTs and tomato cucumber salad, here's one of this summer's favorites:

Tomato Basil Mozzerella Pasta Salad (based on this recipe from the WA Post)
Ingredients:
8 ounces pasta (I like gemelli or bowties)
Salt
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
Tomatoes (a couple of big ones, diced or a bunch of little cherry or grape tomatoes) 10 to 12 medium or large basil leaves, coarsely chopped


Dressing
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it is done, but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and rinse with cold water until the pasta is completely cool. Let it drain for a few minutes and transfer to a large bowl. Add the mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste, adding more vinegar if desired. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note: Great as a side dish, or I even added leftover grilled chicken one day and made it into a main course. No mayo in this pasta salad, so its a good one for outdoor picnics and such. Enjoy! (And much thanks to our kind computer genius neighbor Bryan who cleaned our computer of all sorts of spyware and viruses! )

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wish we lived closer...our zucchini plant has been very disappointing! Did you ever think that was possible?? We've gotten about 10 the whole summer, about 2 at a time. We have 2 pumpkins growing, have gotten a handful of green bell peppers and lots of cherry tomatoes (which aren't my favorite, but that's what Rob bought but didn't know what kind until it started producing!) Kind of a disappointing garden...I think it's the location.

I just saw this recipe for Zucchini Quesadillas (scroll down a little on the page )http://myplumpudding.blogspot.com/2008/08/summer-squash.html

Christie said...

I should have had my mom deliver some to you when I picked her up from the airport last night... I'll have to check out the quesadilla recipe.

Shan said...

Mmm.... That sounds so good! I can always count on you to find new and delicious recipes! Say hi to everyone for me! And tell Russ that I'm learning how to play chess so I can play him online and he can bring out his hogs... :) ha ha

Christy P. said...

You may want the zukes in the winter (I know it doesn't seem like it now). You can grate it and freeze it in zip-top bags then use it in soups or in any of those baked goods. I find that 2 cups is a good amount to freeze.

I have alternate suggestions - zucchini parmesan (replace the eggplant, also freezes well); quiche; replace the spinach in spinach artichoke dip with grated zucchini; I made zucchini-crusted pizza last night (check the Moosewood cookbook, also good for the gluten-free among us); I can post zucchini cheese bread - it is like stuffing that you eat with your hands.

Becky said...

YUM!!! There is nothing better than fresh veggis out of the garden. Especially tomatoes. I have a great recipe that uses zuchini, yellow squash, carrots, chicken, and topped with stove top stuffing. I'm pretty picky sometimes, and I love the recipe. I'd be glad to give it to you if you want.